Sunday, March 8, 2009

Snow on the Beach




Went to the beach yesterday. The nice thing about living in New Jersey is, when you can forget for a moment the high cost of living, the high taxes, the over-development, the crowds, and especially the noise, well, at least you're close to the beach. Not that all beaches are the same, but at least in winter time there are fewer people and hopefully less garbage to tread on.



Do I sound annoyed? Yes, because it is unbelievable that people can go to the beach and leave their garbage behind them. Broken bottles, rusty cans, miscellaneous items of clothing.... you name it.



However, I want to encourage travel, so let's speak of the beauty. I always enjoy a trip to the shore, and the ocean will always manage to impress the heck out of me. I love the beach in winter time, but yesterday was the first time I actually saw snow at the beach. Not a lot, but enough to be admired.



I wanted to visit the twin light houses at Navesink, but unfortunately they closed early. I did get a few long distance shots, though. Supposedly there was a whale stranded at nearby Sandy Hook, but that was a week or so ago, so I'm hoping that situation was resolved, and the whale is on his merry way.

And no, didn't see any sharks this time. :0)

Cheers, JOHN :0)

4 comments:

Brian Hughes said...

I remember once...just the once mind...when the edge of the sea here actually froze. Imagine that...salt water freezing. By Gum it were a cold winter that 'un.

Unknown said...

Brian,

It must have been very cold, indeed!

I think I remember hearing of that once here, although we certainly get a lot colder temps than you folk in the UK. Still, with the currents and tide, it's hard to believe the shore actually freezing.

Do you guys get snow at all, or at the beach at all?

Cheers, JOHN :0)

Brian Hughes said...

Morecambe Bay has its own microclimate, completely separate from the rest of Blighty for some reason. We get heavy snow about once every ten years. The rest of the time its just terminally grey, unfortunately.

Unknown said...

I think it'd be cool to actually see snow falling at the beach. Of course, I'd have to drive 2 hours in the snow to do so, unless my timing was really good. :0)

Lucky you, to just stroll out to the bay whenever you feel like. :0)

Just don't wait for a sunny day, apparently. :0)

Cheers, JOHN :0)