Thursday, March 27, 2008

Serendipity

All right, that last post was a little rough on the nerves, so let's head into something a little more light-hearted, eh?

One nice thing about travel, of course, is discovering new things. Discovery, however, falls into many categories, and serendipitous surprises can add a little something special to a trip.

One example of this occured during my third trip to London. I don't remember when I became a fan of Red Dwarf, or even where, but it's one of the funniest television shows that I have ever seen, and very creative. Anyways, I was about to say, "let's go to my travel journal for the story", and... honest to goodness, no lie... the story continues on the very next page from my earlier journal entry about Cardiff! Talk about a serendipitous moment!

For you, it's like continuing where we left off, so let's do it.



"A short while ago I finished the new Red Dwarf book: The Last Human, by Doug Naylor.
"Oh", I hear you say. "You DID find it, then?" Well, yes, and as is usually the case with me, there's a story.
So, as promised, we got up Saturday morning with the plan of me showing Marty around town for the day, and getting some shopping done. I wasn't yet sure how I was feeling, so I could not commit to anything yet. So, first thing we went for our complimentary breakfast which consisted of one sip of orange juice, a fresh roll, and coffee powder to take back to our room, so we could make our own coffee. We then exchanged some traveller's checks and headed for Oxford Street.
Sure enough, at Forbidden Planet, they had lots of the new Red Dwarf book - Right next to the sign announcing the book signing at 3:00! Wow!
So not only could I get the book I came for, but I could get it autographed too!"




All right, from that entry, you can probably tell that we were staying in a very 'affordable' little place... almost a hostel. The place had it's charm, though, although wait until I tell you about the morning I stayed there, and had to get up early for a flight to Switzerland.. Yikes!

I was also younger then, and a bit more excitable. Still, going all the way to London to get a book, and getting to meet the Author on the one day you're there is pretty lucky. It's also amazing that this random story follows on the very next journal page after the last page I shared with you - quite accidently.

So, you can find serendipity anywhere, when you're not even looking for it, which I suppose is part of the definition, huh?

Thanks for visiting, JOHN :0)

3 comments:

Brian Hughes said...

"...getting to meet the Author on the one day you're there is pretty lucky."

Nah...Doug Naylor's like that. Every time you find one of his books, he's there trying to sign it for you and asking which bit you liked best and stuff. He's always round at my house telling me to stop reading Pratchett and read his books instead. The man's becoming a pain I tell y'. Especially seeing as he looks like Phil Collins.

Unknown said...

Don't mess with Doug Naylor, or you'll be messing with me. Besides, I'm hoping he'll give me a review copy of his next book, so don't blow it for me. :0)

As for Mr. Pratchett, he's fighting the good fight against alxheimer's. He's donated a million bucks for research, which is pretty cool. You can read more here.

Unknown said...

PS I typed alzheimer's correctly, but something changed the z into an x just to make me look bad.

I wonder if there's research for 'computer paranoia' somewhere?

Cheers, JOHN :0)